WHAT IS NSU?
NON SPECIFIC URETHRITIS
It is sexually transmitted infection in males who present with urethral discharge and dysuria. Several bacteria may be responsible, the most common ones being chlamydia trachomatis and ureaplasma urealyticum.
HOW IS NSU TRANSMITTED?
NSU can be transmiitted though having unprotected sex though it can also be transmitted on your fingers from touchingbody fluids in infected genital areas.
WHAT ARE THE SIGNS & SYMPTOMS OF NGU?
- Often the cause is not identified.
- Symptoms usually occur about 1 to 3 weeks after infection.
- Presenting symptoms are urethral discharge and dysuria (burning and irritation during urination) . There may be a white or yellow discharge.
- The signs and symptoms are very similar to gonococcal urethritis and thus accurate laboratory tests are needed to confirm the diagnosis and to exclude gonorrhoea.
- In some men there may be very mild symptoms or none at all and diagnosis is made only after laboratory testing.
WHAT ARE THE LONG TERM COMPLICATIONS OF NSU?
- If left untreated the infection may spread to the surrounding organs such as testis, epididymis, prostate.
- This may lead to infertility and chronic pain.
- There may also be complications affecting the skin, joints and eyes.
HOW IS NSU DIAGNOSED?
- Smear and culture tests on secretions from the urethra help to confirm the diagnosis.
- Blood tests have no value in this condition.
HOW IS NSU TREATED?
- Oral antibiotics are the treatments of choice
- Injections are not useful in the treatment of NSU
CAN THE INFECTION RECUR?
- Yes, recurrent or chronic urethritis is known to occur in 10% to 15% of patients even after adequate treatment
WHAT SHOULD I DO?
- Seek medical treatment, do not self medicate
- Inform the doctor of any drug allergy
- Refrain from sex until cured
- Complete the course of treatment prescribed
- Refer your sex partner(s) for check-up so that he/she can be treated early if found to be infected
- Always practise safer sex with casual partners and prostitutes (sex workers)
WHAT IS SAFER SEX?
- This is sex without the exchange of body fluids, e.g. vaginal secretions or semen during sex
- Use condoms correctly and every time you have sex
- Do not consume alcohol before or during sex, this may impair your judgement